Sunday, March 14, 2010

Constant Challenges


Well this is day 10 after our last anaphylaxis and we are starting to see our old Ty return. He still has an awful rash due to the bandages they put on him while in the hospital, but other than that he is recovering nicely. Because of our last scare, we are so gun-shy to go anywhere. People just don't understand the severity of our situation. I'm finding it harder and harder to go places and do things. Places like church, school, playdates and birthday parties are almost not worth the work. I hate it for Ty because he is now at the age where he realizes he is starting to miss out on things and although he is very smart-he doesn't quite understand. He thinks if he just doesn't eat milk, nut, or egg-everything will be fine. He doesn't get that cross contamination is just as bad.

And now with Easter quickly approaching-we bought our Easter outfit (which he calls his "magician" outfit) and he has been begging to wear it only to find out we won't be going to church on Easter b/c children's church ordered a special case of doughnuts for a treat for all the kids. And there is no way I would take that away from everyone else just so my child could attend. But at the same time I feel like I go over this a thousand times with people and it just does not register. Its not just if he eats it-he can't touch it or be near it!!! I don't want to put too much hope and faith in this service dog (AngelServiceDogs.com) b/c ALL of my faith is in God and His healing and provision-but I can't help but feel like this dog would lessen half the load on us right now. I could at least let Ty go to more things and I would have an extra set of eyes, and nose to know if it is safe for him or not. I know holidays are supposed to be fun-but for me it means more stress and as long as it is centered around food-its life threatening for Ty. What ever happened to cheap toys and stickers as treats for kids???











On a different note-here is a great recipe for Dairy, Egg, Soy, and Nut free Chocolate Chip Cookies:

8 tbs Earth Balance Dairy/Soy free butter (roughly 1/2 cup butter)
2 tbs milled flaxseed mixed w/ 6 tbs water (mix well)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 bag of Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix first 5 ingredients until it is creamy and then add the flour and the chips. The dough should seem a little dry. Roll into little balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. ENJOY!

Allergy friendly foods don't have to be bland or nasty-I promise to provide wonderful recipes to let you know just how good (and healthy) you can eat; while keeping others safe :)

1 comment:

  1. Ali, I'm very proud of you and the efforts you're making to create awareness. I know you can move mountains with God and your persistance. Keep up the good work! I love you!!!
    Chad

    ReplyDelete