Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Another Close Call

I apologize for the leave of absence from my blog but life has been crazy. However, I vow to be more devoted to informing everyone not only about our lives-but about all childrens' lives who are plagues with food allergies.

Friday night we went to Macaroni Grill (one of the few places we can eat at) and ordered the same thing we always order off of their allergy menu. For those unfamiliar with Romano's Macaroni Grill-they pride themselves in catering to people with food allergies. They have a very detailed, allergy specific menu and promise to cater to those needs. Ty got his usual capellini pomodoro and italian sorbet-all of which are milk, egg, and nut free. To make a long story short, we got home and Ty started acting very crazy and hyper. He started off coughing and then the rash started. We gave him benadryl and a bath and before we knew it-I was giving him the epipen while my husband held him down and we were in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. This makes three times now that I have had to watch my child fight for his life and wonder what the outcome was going to be. We determined it was some sort of cross-contamination at the restaurant that almost took my three year old's life.

Part of me is frustrated that Ty has to deal with things most kids don't and I get impatient with the fact that God has not taken these life threatening allergies away: but the other part of me finds hope in His protection in an organization called Angelservicedogs.com. We are now in the process of obtaining a service dog that will be Ty's shadow and alert him if there is a dangerous food near him. These dogs are allowed everywhere! I will keep you posted on the progress and will probably ask for some help in raising the funds for this come into play. Please pray for Ty and pray that God continues to spare him and protect him.

1 comment:

  1. Ali, I am so sorry that y'all and your sweet Ty have had to deal with all this. I had no idea it was this tough. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. The "allergy dog" sounds like he or she will be a wonderful addition to your family!! I saw a documentary about allergy dogs once; they look like fantastic and life-saving companions. Please keep us posted.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete