Saturday, October 24, 2009

Trick or THREAT


Well, with Halloween fastly approaching I am left to deal with an uncharted territory-is it safe to trick or treat? Last year, Ty was a little too young to notice and he had just as much fun handing out the candy. But this year, he is so excited and I am so nervous. Although he gets the fact that he has allergies, how do you explain to a 2 year old that trick or treating is too dangerous for him. Some ideas I have come up with include-going around to a few houses the day before and preparing Ty's own goodie bags for the neighbors to give him when he comes and the other is keep him at a Halloween carnival too late for him to go trick or treating. The problem with the second one is just about every carnival has food and candy and once those kids get it all over their hands-our fun is done! Doo doo! We went to Boo in the Zoo last week and just about 90% of the candy they handed out was deadly for Ty. Luckily I brought a back up bag and he didn't seem to notice the switch. Its just so frustrating that holidays stress me out and its not the holiday rush, or what costume to buy or which parties can we make it to...but its whether or not my child's safety will be compromised by his participation.
And dang the flu shots b/c he can't get them-THEY ALL CONTAIN EGG! So everyone else, get yours b/c that is his only line of defense! I decided to go ahead and get the swine flu, why bother w/the vaccine? lol....

2 comments:

  1. My son has egg allergy and he's been getting the seasonal flu shot at the allergist's office for the last 18 years. Check out the story at www.FoodAllergiesToGo.com/blog. Find food allergy friendly restaurants at www.FoodAllergiesToGo.com. I used to give candy to the neighbors and they gave it to my son for trick or treat.
    Good Luck. Ann@FoodAllergiesToGo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the advice! I will definitely check into that.

    ReplyDelete