Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Missing Out

Today I find it very frustrating because this weekend our family is having a big get together and we have to miss out on it. Like everything we do, it revolves around good food and good friends and family and unfortunately the good food is bad for us. Because I have another child now, I find it hard to watch Ty so closely in order to ensure there is no contact or cross contamination with something he may be allergic to. And it would be unfair to everyone else to tell them they can only have the foods that are safe for him (not to mention not nearly as yummy). So, once again we cannot attend. Thankfully Ty is young and does not realize he is missing out but I worry that family might not understand or might get offended that we are always a no show. Not only do I worry about the foods that are at the function but I worry about the food people ate before they came. If they were eating nuts, did they wash their hands and face? If that child was drinking milk, is their mouth clean? Yes, he IS that allergic. I was at the pool yesterday and the lifeguard was eating peanut butter crackers and I found myself getting all panicky at the thought of crumbs falling and Ty walking on them. (ok, i know that is a stretch but that is my mindset). So, is it possible to ban milk, eggs, and nuts for everyone else b/c we can't have it? NO! But maybe it is possible to increase awareness and even promote "cleaner" eating (aka washing hands and face afterwards). Food for thought....

3 comments:

  1. It's very refreshing to hear someone else have the same struggles. I have to say, I cringe when the holidays come around and the MANY birthday parties!
    My family has had a hard time dealing with Jackson's allergies and all the adjustments that need to be made. It feels like you are all alone a lot of the time; that's why this blog is wonderful! Good job!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this blog is helping you. If anything, its just nice to know you aren't alone. We may be in the minority but we aren't alone. Please let me know anything i can do to help. i think about you guys all the time b/c soy is in everything!!! how serious is his soy allergy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackson can't have soy milk or anything with soy even cooked in it. The milk causes severe diarrhea for DAYS but the cooked in soy only causes mild diarrhea. Although BOTH make him very grumpy and he has had a hard time with his mental, physical development prior to us finding out all this. Now he is a smarty pants:) So happy. Thanks for being so nice about Ty's lunch. We pray for his safety everyday.

    ReplyDelete